Monday 18 July 2011

Creativity

Why do I like software?

This has always been like magic for me. Just get an idea, write some code and get 'something' working from 'nothing' but an idea. I feel it like synchronizing my mind with the code and letting it happen. Are there any boundaries? I don't think so: imagination doesn't have any; maybe computers do, but for the time being my imagination is not that big. ;)

Does software development require creativity?

creative/kriˈeɪtɪv/

adjective relating to or involving the use of imagination or original ideas in order to create something.

Yes, I think so! I guess you can do it even if you're not creative, but the question is: will you enjoy it? I don't see the point if you don't enjoy it!
If we describe software development as "
the process of writing and maintaining the source code of a software application"
doesn't sound really enjoyable, does it?

Does software development require knowledge?

Yep. That translation between the ideas in your mind and the 'real' 'thing' requires some knowledge and it helps if you have a logical thinking given that computers get on well with guys like that. :)
Anyway, go ahead and learn how to code. It's just a mean to get your ideas into working stuff. Then you'll start dealing with things like maintainability, decoupling, refactoring... and so many other things.

What helps a software developer to give real value?

I think creativity is a clear expression of what I'll call mind-freedom here. Make sure your team members feel comfortable and free to express their ideas. BUT! Always remember to pay them a salary and work on the basics first: remember Mr. Maslow.

Anyway... just some ideas I wanted to share :)

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”

No comments: